This tasty soup is one of my favourite meals from the 12WBT program. I like it because I can throw all the ingredients in a pot and leave it to cook. The added brown rice makes this a filling meal. You could add onion for extra flavour, but I cook without it and it is delicious.
What you’ll need (2 serves):
- Olive oil spray
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 3/4 cup dried red lentils
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 cups liquid vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- 1/4 cup coriander
- 1/2 – 1 cup cooked brown rice
Time to get cooking:
- Crush the garlic, finely chop the carrot and rinse the lentils.
- Spray a saucepan with oil and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and spices. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add a dash of stock if the mixture is a little dry.
- Stir in lentils, carrot, stock and 3 cups (750ml) water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until lentils and carrot are tender. Stir occasionally during cooking.
- Add the cooked rice to the saucepan in the last five minutes of cooking. Season with ground pepper.
- Divide soup between bowls. Top with yoghurt and sprinkle with roughly chopped coriander to serve.